Welcome to Lucian's Pedagogy.

This site contains information to help you understand the marking process in humanities, creative arts and science essays.

Please read the Table of Contents (Welcome!) . To earn A, (in an assignment, to have a healthy baby or use 50 As to earn a job) please visit the Anarchy Quiz.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Adverbs

Nouns are things, e.g. “person”, “ball”. One should think of the x, y and z dimensions of each object, and whether the colours are on adjacent or opposite sides, and the two colours. E.g. I ate an apple: I (^1): (x=0.5 m, y=0.3 m, z=1.75 m, I have brown hair and black pupils: brown and black on opposite sides), apple (^2): (x=0.06 m, y= 0.06 m, z=0.06 m, the apple is green on opposite sides). After thinking of these things, one can check that the sentence, "I ate an apple" is as simple as possible.

Verbs are doing words, e.g. “run”, “write”. One should think of whether the objects touch (they normally should), whether either of them change size when they touch, and whether either change colour when they touch. E.g. I ate an apple: I (see ^1), apple (see ^2), ate: Do I and the apple touch? Yes. Do I change size? No. Does the apple change size? No. Do I change colour? No. Does the apple change colour? No. After thinking of these things, one can check that the sentence, "I ate an apple" is as simple as possible.

Adjectives describe things, e.g. “big”, “light”. One should think of x, y and z dimensions of each object, and whether the colours are on adjacent or opposite sides, and the two colours. E.g. I ate a large apple: large apple: (x=0.07 m, y= 0.07 m, z=0.07 m, the apple is green on opposite sides). After thinking of these things, one can check that the sentence, "I ate a large apple" is as simple as possible.

Adverbs describe actions, e.g. “quickly”, “delicately”. One should think of whether the objects touch (they normally should), whether either of them change size when they touch, and whether either change colour when they touch. E.g. I ate an apple quickly: I (see ^1), apple (see ^2), ate quickly: Do I and the apple touch? Yes. Do I change size? No. Does the apple change size? No. Do I change colour? No. Does the apple change colour? No. After thinking of these things, one can check that the sentence, "I ate an apple quickly" is as simple as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment